A simple, moist cake that adapts to the berries in season and available to you.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil + more to drizzle
- Fresh squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 2 cups blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or any other berry in season
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sweet basil, tarragon, or lavender (optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt, sweetened with 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and oil a 9-inch round or 8×8-inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and salt together until frothy (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly add sugar while continuing to mix (about 2 more minutes).
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and gradually add to egg mixture. Mix about 1 more minute.
- In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, lemon zest, and juice. Using a spoon, stir this into the egg mixture, folding until all is incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven and bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Toss berries with fresh herbs (optional).
- Allow cake to cool, garnish with berries, sweetened yogurt and olive oil drizzle (optional).